- Niger bans exports of liquefied petroleum gas -government statementBusiness
· October 3, 2023
Niger has banned all exports of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) until further notice, the government said in a statement on Tuesday.
- AfricaEU pledges delayed $680 million aid package for Ethiopia
The European Union on Tuesday pledged a $680 million aid package for Ethiopia that was delayed due to a 2020-2022 civil war in its northern Tigray region.
- AfricaKenya orders 10% budget cuts, rescinds Telkom Kenya deal with Helios
Kenya's cabinet on Tuesday ordered all ministries and state departments to cut 10% of their operational budgets for the 2023/24 (July-June) fiscal year, the presidency said.
- BusinessS.Africa's Standard Bank-funded solar plants to add 5% to grid by end-'24
Solar power projects funded by South Africa's Standard Bank will add 1,500 megawatts to the national grid by the end of 2024, the lender said, accounting for 5% of the total available grid capacity according to Reuters calculations.
- AfricaGhana protesters demand central bank governor resign
Thousands took to the streets of Ghana's capital Accra on Tuesday demanding the central bank governor be removed for what they say is the mismanagement of the economy during the worst debt crisis in a generation.
- AfricaNiger says 29 soldiers killed in attack, rejects Algerian mediation
At least 29 Niger soldiers were killed in an ambush by insurgents near the country's border with Mali, the defence ministry said, the deadliest attack since the military seized power in a coup in July.
- AfricaRwandan genocide suspect arrested in the Netherlands
A former Rwandan military official who is suspected of having played a key role in the 1994 Rwandan genocide was arrested in the Netherlands on Tuesday, Dutch prosecuters said.
- MarketsGem Trader HB Antwerp ends feud as Botswana weighs diamond sales deal
HB Antwerp, a Belgian gem processor and trader, said that one of its founding members who was fired last month has been reinstated, amid a pending deal with Botswana for the supply of rough stones.